The mission of Recycle Bicycle Harrisburg is to provide all residents of the greater Harrisburg area – especially those of limited means – with access to safe, reliable, affordable, and environmentally friendly transportation in the form of bicycles.
We do this by:
- Collecting and restoring used, damaged and abandoned bicycles.
- Using the restoration process to teach bicycle repair and maintenance to our earn-a-bike recipients.
- Teaching proper bicycle safety and etiquette to all of our recipients.
- Providing safety education and maintenance services to community events and organizations.
- Advocating for safe and equitable access to transportation infrastructure for cyclists.
Recycle Bicycle Harrisburg was born out of a necessity to make children’s bicycles safe. In 2001, Ross Willard was volunteering at a community event when he noticed that the bicycles kids were riding did not have working brakes. After starting to repair the bikes on his own, he realized that the need was much greater, so he organized other volunteers to help.
Over the years this mission grew. Bike donations piled up, volunteers where recruited and shop locations came and went. By 2016 Recycle Bicycle Harrisburg became a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
In October 2019 our dream of a permanent home became a reality, when we purchased 1722 Chestnut Street. After a year of hard work and renovations we received our Certificate of Occupancy from the City of Harrisburg and officially opened. Recycle Bicycle Harrisburg continues to grow and to improve our support for our community.
Recycle Bicycle Harrisburg, Inc. is registered with the IRS as a 501(c)3 charitable organization.